POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT Graduate Assistant for Men’s Soccer
Mount Vernon Nazarene University exists to shape lives through educating the whole person and cultivating Christ-likeness for lifelong learning and service.
Mount Vernon Nazarene University (MVNU) is an intentionally Christian teaching university for traditional age students, graduate students, and working adults who seek opportunities to learn and grow in an academic community of faith. The University provides the context for a transformational experience through excellent academics, service opportunities, caring relationships, and a nurturing spiritual and social environment. Faculty, staff, and students are challenged to achieve their highest potential, to become increasingly Christ-like and to make a difference in their world through lifelong service.
The University seeks a Graduate Assistant to serve in the role of Assistant Coach for Men’s Soccer on the main campus. Graduate Assistant appointments are made in collaboration with the Dean of GPS and the Men’s Soccer Coach. This position is 20 hours per week and is a full tuition benefit extending through the duration of the student’s Master’s program. The Graduate Assistant may receive a coaching stipend for duties performed for the athletic program. The stipend will be commensurate with experience and mission fit. They will assist the head coach in all facets of coaching and will maintain the standard of conduct and lifestyles expectations consistent with all members at MVNU and its Christian mission.
Responsibilities for this position include:
- To initiate and consistently recruit student-athletes with a mission fit to the university in conjunction with the head coach
Develop names for a database
- Individually manage database
- Phone calls
- Arrange on-campus visits
- High school visits
- Observe games and tournaments
- Actively recruit for both the 1st Team and Reserves
To be actively involved in all coaching and teaching aspects consistent with the head coaches philosophy and objectives.
- Assist in planning daily practices/activities
- Scouting opponents/scouting reports
- Player evaluation
- Initiate effective daily warm-up and stretching
- Individual workouts with players
- Supervise weightlifting/conditioning programs
- Leadership role with the reserve team
- Other duties as assigned
Contribute to camps and/or clinics
Help promote fundraising efforts
- CSA Phone-a-thon
- Establish connections and contacts with alumni (Alumni game)
- Maintain a positive spiritual influence on players and students
Successful candidate should have:
Bachelor degree or equivalent
Acceptance into a MVNU Graduate program
Experience with Microsoft Office and with office equipment (printers, copiers, etc.) preferred
Excellent technology, face-to-face, and phone
Basic mathematical and strong typing skills
Ability to compose clear, professional letters, emails, and announcements
Must be capable of sitting, walking or standing for long periods of time, frequent use of stairs.